At some time in the 14th century people who used the name de Dockwra or de Dockeray moved southwards into Westmorland, and by around 1400 were found living in Kendal. Just to the north of the town was Dockwray Hall, which was the family seat up until the early 17th century when it passed out of the family by marriage. The Hall was demolished some time in the mid-19th century, but its site is clearly shown on early maps of the town.