Lilley church is known to have existed from around 1200 A.D., it was altered in the mid 15th century when new windows were added and the chancel lengthened. The roof was also rebuilt and a small belfry with a spike atop was added, along with a vestry. The Docwra family bought Putteridge Bury estate in 1525, and a memorial to the family still exists in the church although it has been moved from the original position in the chancel to the tower porch.